Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Could Ferrari have seen the red Pegasus logo of Mobil gas, and thought, hmmmm, get rid of the wings, paint it black, and bingo? Or did Mobil get the idea for the Pegasus from the Ferrari symbol?


Where would I get an idea like that? I present Exhibit A

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/20931/lot/235/c

Well, my little notion seems to have inspired a lot of you to email, comment, etc...

did you guys know that you do that a fucking lot more when I'm wrong, than when I'm smart, insightful, thoughful, or brilliant? Huh! No kidding, am I right?

Keep in mind, this isn't a history book I'm making. It's just the flotsam of things that I see or find that I want to share, and sometimes? It's photoshopped, it's erroneous, or it's merely my sense of humor trying to crack your serious minded response to life, and get your face to crack with a grin, or heaven's forbid, a damn laugh. So lighten up people

Allright, so to set the matter straight, clear, and what not... here's what I've been flooded with:


that right there is the source of the Italian Pride, the prancing horse, the Il Cavalino, the logo of Ferrari. The horse was painted on the fuselage of the fighter plane of Francesco Baracca — a heroic airman of the first world war.

Enzo Ferrari told the story of the prancing horse logo just once, the horse was painted on the fuselage of the fighter plane of Francesco Baracca — a heroic airman of the first world war. “In ‘23, I met count Enrico Baracca, the hero’s father, and then his mother, countess Paulina, who said to me one day, ‘Ferrari, put my son’s prancing horse on your cars. It will bring you good luck’. The horse was, and still is, black, and I added the canary yellow background which is the colour of Modena.

In 1932, the Ferrari shield appeared for the first time on the Alfa Romeo cars of the Scuderia racing team at the Grand Prix of Spa. In 1947, on the 125S — the first car produced at Maranello, the prancing horse appeared on a yellow background, and always with the Italian flag at the top. However, no longer within a shield, with the letters S and F (Scuderia Ferrari) replaced by the word Ferrari. Thus the Ferrari brand was born, and since then has been on all the cars the company produces.

https://www.logodesignlove.com/ferrari-logo-history

10 comments:

  1. Ferrari got the logo from Francesco Baracca who painted the horse onto the fuselage of his plane. An Italian ace, he recorded 34 kills becoming a national hero. In 1923, (several years after his death) Baracca’s mother told Ferrari to paint the prancing horse on his cars as it would give him good luck. Ferrari did so and added the splash of yellow, the color of his birthplace, Modena.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:58 PM

    Interesting juxtapositioning of Pegasus with the Cavallino Rampante. The lore is, Ferrari's logo was first used by World War I pilot Francesco Baracca on his airplane. Baracaca's family let Ferrari use it, in the hopes it would bring him luck on the track, he changed the background to yellow in honor of the colors of his home city Modena. This was around 1920 ish, which is about the same time that Mobil Oil adopted the Pegasus symbol. Coincidence? Hmmm....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh hell, now I wonder if I posted about the source of the prancing horse, because what you wrote about the WW1 pilot sounds familiar

      Delete
  3. Pegasus copyrighted in 1911. The Baracca horse appeared in 1932.
    They are both horses, that's where the similarity ends, they look nothing alike.

    ReplyDelete
  4. all right, it was just a thought

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm, I'd love to see what sort of car related thoughts and notions would be on your guys blogs... over the course of 12 years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. C'mon man, you had a thought, don't you want to know if it was on the right track or not? Your thought sparked curiosity, and investigating the possibility is not criticism.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You haven't seen half the feedback I got on it. Some is emailed, some is in the comments, and some I delete because the same smart ass people just send criticism of everything, spelling, typos, not capitalizing the 1st letter in a sentence.... I'm telling you, some people just have no point but to be rude, and try to get a rise out of other people. Like the guy complaining today about the monkey wrench.

      Delete
  7. OK, I'll buy that, we don't see all the bullshit you have to cope with so we don't understand why you seem why you seem little over the top when you're pushed to finally respond. I apologize for not considering/understanding that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries. Want to see it? The first ( 1st ) letter of a sentence, paragraph, title must be in capitals !!

      see ys later alligator

      THAT is just one example. The post I did with the monkey wrench yesterday is another

      Delete