Thursday, February 15, 2018

Not the 1st submarine to be advertised in conjunction with a car sales advertisement (that was a White in 1919) but the most recent I've found, a Lincoln with the USS Swordfish


http://justacarguy.blogspot.com/2017/05/a-car-advertisement-with-submarine-how.html for the 1919 ad.

I still haven't figured out why they ever thought a submarine made a sales pitch marketing logical connection

Anyone certain where this photo was taken?

http://www.overdrive.fi/forum/threads/vanhoja-valokuvia-ameriikan-raitilta.267070/page-734#post-3176802


2 comments:

  1. That looks to be a 1959 or 1960 Lincoln, I'm going to lean toward a '59 and this picture being taken in 1958 for the '59 model year. Those brick building in the background as well as the bridge you can barely see to the left of the buildings and right of the sub looked familiar, so I checked. The Swordfish was built and commissioned out of Portsmouth Naval Shipyard in NH (or Maine, depending on who you ask and it's been a point of contention for decades) in 1958 before heading to Pearl. I lived in the Portsmouth area for 25 years, my son was a Sea Cadet at the shipyard. That draw bridge should be the Memorial Bridge over the Piscatqua River.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've never been there

      Delete