Available on 1949-1954 Crown Imperials, Town and Countrys, and other large Mopars as an option. It was a 40% increase in brake surface area over the 12" drums of the day... these cars were nearly 4 tons, and the 12 inch drums weren't up to it.
Unlike the common disc brakes used today, based on the common disc brakes that became familiar in the 1965 roll out of Corvettes, these Ausco Lambert had 360 degrees of both sides of the discs in contact with the brake pad liners, like the similar clutch contact method
This illustration shows the stationary, split brake disc. When the brake pedal was applied, twin wheel cylinders pushed the split disc apart so its friction pads made contact with the insides of the spinning housing. Self-energizing action and extra braking force was provided by six steel balls riding in ramp that wedged the disc apart. Metal return springs retracted the works when the brakes were released. The system was designed by Ausco-Lambert (aka the Auto Specialties Manufacturing Company) of St. Joseph, Missouri, and further developed under license by Chrysler. After Chrysler dropped the costly unit for 1955 (improved vacuum boosters gave new life to Chrysler’s drum brake systems), Ausco-Lambert changed the housing material to aluminum and tried to market the brakes over the counter as the “Double-Disc Safety Brake.” Unfortunately, it was overshadowed by European-style, floating-caliper brakes