Friday, January 17, 2020

Originally found in the Oxnard area in in an estate where it was stored in the attic for probably 80+ years galvanize steel with compartments with the words Kissel Kar blazoned on the top done in the correct scripts for the marquee from 1912 to 1919 what is this a spare tire storage compartment? it measures 25 inches across by 13 inches tall




https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/557012231755620/

I don't think I've ever seen more than 4 or 5 Kissels ever. I certainly don't think I've ever seen more than one or two picnic / travel storage containers either, so, I don't know what this is specifically, but I'll guess it is generally something easily stored on the right Kissel in the spare tire area, or rumble seat, or mother in law seat. Maybe. 

4 comments:

  1. For sure there' aren't many Kissels around, the Wisconsin auto Museum has a couple dozen out of the hundred or so that still exist. I suspect you're right about this 'hat box' looking container going inside the spare tire. I could definitely see it in a double spare tire mounting on the back of a touring car or a runabout. There doesn't seem to be much other reason for it to be round.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suspect it might be a dry ice chest for keeping picnic foods fresh or very cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. makes sense to me!

      Delete
    2. That would explain going with galvanized steel.

      Delete