Saturday, April 06, 2019

McKay rubber Lube number 622... this stuff has been sitting on a shelf since decades before I was born... but still works!



I needed to get a fuel line over the gas tube coming out of the gas tank, and it didn't want to work with me at all... so, I looked around to see what was on my garage shelves to grease the tube a bit, and figured why not try this stuff?

I filled about 4 inches of the inside of the 5 inch fuel line, then let it drain out, and it slipped on in a moment, instead of the minutes I'd been shoving and twisting trying to get the dry line on the tube.
Anyway, that's part of what I did today... before trying to get my rear shocks swapped out. It turns out that 50 years after the last person tightened them on, it took a bit of effort to get them off.

Also, the bottom bolt is 5/16 20, and the upper bolt is 5/16 13. My Craftsman tap n die set for cleaning up threads only has a tap for 5/16 13, but not the die, so that is odd. The 5/16 20 were both there, so thats taken care of, but in 2 hours, I only finished the one shock. It's surprising how much time it wastes to prep and get tools for the nuts and bolts when you don't already have those sizes known.

Oh, and the 2 piece handle for the floor jack? Makes a nice piece of pipe to slip over the breaker bar handle to be a handy force multiplier

3 comments:

  1. Wow! What a great idea! Just about 10 days ago I was helping a buddy change a tire on his RV and the bolts were seriously tight. I looked around for a piece of pipe with no luck and my floor jack was within arms reach. I'll have to remember your idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you've got the floor jack, from Craftsman, with the two piece quick release 2 in aluminum tubular 3 or 4 foot long handle, you've got the right one.
      My floor jack was never used until after the 2 year warranty was over, and then the first time I used it the pipe handle reciever bracket snapped in two, and the floor jack has been sitting on the sidelines ever since. Maybe I'll find a floor jack parts company someday and get a replacement. Maybe.

      Delete
  2. If you've got this jack: http://mymiata.paladinmicro.com/MiataCRALJack.htm then you've got the one... it has a foam wrap part of the length of the 2 piece quick release handle, but the pump handle receiver head casting is notorius for breaking, and I was one of the first to buy one. But 2 years went buy between my getting myself one for Xmas, and the first time I used it the damn part broke, and it's been sitting on the sidelines ever since.

    ReplyDelete