Sunday, February 25, 2018

A poster for the Lake Zurich & Wauconda Railroad in Illinois, shows a converted FWD Model B used as a rail car.

The LZ & W Railroad opened on August 25th, 1912, and closed in 1924.

In addition to the U.S. Army adapting the FWD Model B for rail use, several small commercial railroads in the U.S.A. also saw an opportunity for the FWD Model B with its 4-wheel drive traction to be adapted to carry passengers as a Rail Car.

The FWD Model B's low operating costs, as compared with that of a steam engine, enabled a converted FWD Rail Car carrying 30 passengers in comfort, along with hauling an attached 5 ton trailer loaded with freight, to travel 32 miles on 6 gallons of gasoline.

for info on FWD:  or

No comments:

Post a Comment