Thursday, August 04, 2016

La Main Jaune (the Yellow Hand) a tribute to manual labor and the century of the automobile, on the A 10 junction 26 at the city of Chatellerault France (thank you Phil!)











Built with no public funds in 2010, entirely paid for by sponsors and contributions, and made by volunteers (about 500 of them) and among them were engineers and researchers and many of the volunteers were former patients of Dr Francis Guyot, now a sculptor who maintains his freedom to create by not using any govt funds.

A blue egg in the palm symbolizes the creation of the small cars, which were gutted to the shell and painted blue, except for the headlights which illuminate the sculpture at night.

It is a monumental sculpture of 20 tons and 24 meters high, consisting of a metal structure and colored resin, developed around a central pylon built on a foundation partly made of concrete chips from demolished buildings after the urban renewal of the Plain of Ozon area.

Around the forearm are seven cars that made automotive history ( 4CV, VW bug, 2CV, Fiat 500, twingo, Clio ...) a tribute to the representative workers' condition of the industrial past of the city of Chatellerault. to the ' automobile in general. There's an English car, a German, an Italian and French. They come from the hand of man, and they go down to the road.

http://www.lepoint.fr/actualites-region/2009-01-22/la-main-jaune-se-pose-enfin/1556/0/309711
https://variations.revues.org/392?lang=en

4 comments:

  1. As a Mini owner, duty compels me to point out that you fail to mention the Mini as one of the 7 cars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well.. I thought about that. But here is what stopped me. There are Austin mini, Cooper mini, Innocenti, and others.. .you probably know them better than I do, and I don't know if the twingo or clio are that mini. I don't take the time to look up stuff like that, because - seriously, I'm not getting paid for it nor am I making an reference encyclopdia for academics - so I skip that time wasting research and get more fun stuff posted.

      Delete
  2. not to be a dick, but that's not a clio, but a peugeot 105;) Seriously, my fav blog, keep up the great work, Jesse!

    actually, if they wanted to select cars that are historically significant, the first five are undestandable - 500, mini, 4CV, beetle, 2CV; but the two on the ground are a strange choice...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. damned if I know, I just took what the websites told me, and put together what seemed to be a basically complete post. I don't know what the hell a Clio is. I figured it might be one of the cars on the ground, because I don't know what they are.

      Delete