Monday, April 18, 2016

cool little tug tractor and the 1953 Indianapolis 500 2nd place finisher


https://www.facebook.com/Alte-Bilder-aus-vergangenen-Tagen-f%C3%BCr-Autofans-1476668465925600/?fref=photo


Perfectly restored to its bright yellow 1955 racing configuration, the Andy Granatelli Kurtis Indy roadster


The #22 D-A Lubricant Special as it ran in the 1955 Indianapolis 500, Cal Niday driving.


With Oakland, CA, driver Freddie Agabashian aboard, the Granatelli Kurtis roadster ran as #59 Grancor-Elgin Piston Pin Special in the 1953 Indianapolis 500, officially finishing 2nd.

http://www.brucehotchkiss.net/2010_12_01_archive.html

7 comments:

  1. Agabashian qualified second in 1953 and finished fourth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, I only cited the info from the source I link to. I wish I had the time to fact check and verify stuff, but I seriously don't. Can you tell me what source I should look at to verify what his finish was?

      Delete
  2. champcarstats.com has the AAA results

    Don't feel bad, car owner Granatelli long claimed the car finished second, but it was officially fourth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! There must have been some issue that had different people claiming different things, not unlike religion

      Delete
  3. Do you have any info of the location of the car is it still painted in the cal niday colors

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you know the location of the car and is it still the yellow 22

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that is a recent photo. It was restored that way, and is in Canepa's collection.
      You have no idea how instant my reaction to your question was "how in the world would I have any idea about a race cars location and color"... so imagine my surprise when I realized that I recalled where I got that photo from!
      http://www.brucehotchkiss.net/2010/12/bruce-canepas-passion-to-race-cars_29.html was the source, and that race car was at the 2011 Marin Sonoma concours.
      What caused you to ask?

      Delete