Tuesday, January 02, 2024

Anything that is this highly regarded by Ernest Hemingway must be a good book






a story about the bravery of a woman living and working in a “man’s” world and having all sorts of adventures.

 the illustrated edition of West With the Night, published by Stewart, Tabori & Chang, 1994 has about 125 illustrations integrated into the flow of the text.

 No less a writer than Ernest Hemingway said about West with the Night, "As it is she has written so well, and marvelously well, that I was completely ashamed of myself as a writer. I felt that I was simply a carpenter with words, picking up whatever was furnished on the job and nailing them together and sometimes making an okay pigpen. But she can write rings around all of us who consider ourselves as writers."

Coming from an author who was renowned for his ego and lack of respect for other writers, this is high praise indeed

In 2004, National Geographic Adventure ranked it number 8 in its list of the 100 best adventure books

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/west-with-the-night-by-beryl-markham/250233/item/3898024

2 comments:

  1. It's been many years since I read this, and many more since I read Travels With Charley, and a few more since I read Blue Highways, but you're on a roll here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! It's rare that I make time to read the dozens of books that share my room, because of this blogging compulsion, but they are getting more numerous, and I have gotten a bit more peace of mind (necessary for me to enjoy reading vs frenetic short attention span surfing the internet for instant gratification) and sat down to do a bit of reading recently, and learned of these

      Delete