Friday, March 08, 2019

somedays I get wonderful questions, like the 5th graders who want to know more about the Eire Canal Stump Puller, somedays, it's the ridiculous back yard cistern question because I post old photos. What a difference a day makes

today I got a letter:


Hi,

My name is ######, and I am a 5th grade teacher in #####, Connecticut. I have three students who are working on a westward expansion research project about the innovations sparked by the building of the Erie Canal. So far they are hunting for info on the Dibble horse drawn scoop crane, the Star Bit Drill, and the Stump Puller. They came across your video  https://justacarguy.blogspot.com/2018/03/tree-stump-pulling.html  and asked me to reach out to see if you can offer suggestions for further resources regarding the ingenious stump puller.

:) You have never seen three 10 year old boys so enthusiastic about the Erie Canal. And rightfully so.

Any info or response would be appreciated - I want them to see that research isn't just from websites and books, but also from speaking with experts.

Thanks, and have a great weekend,
######

--#####
5th Grade Teacher
######## School

but yesterday?
...............................................................................................................................................................

Hello Sir-

Happened upon your site and loved the old pics!

Not sure if you can help me or not, but thought Id ask. : )

My mom lives in Fletcher Hills (El Cajon, CA) (Annette Way) in a home which was built in the 1950’s. I was in her yard digging, getting ready to put in a new fence. I was removing some old brick which were about 8” wide. I dug down about 12” and hit something solid. I found solid cement…….then what appeared to be an opening. I stuck a camera as far as I could reach and took a couple pics.


 Thought it was an old well or something, but after some research I think it appears to be an old “Cistern.” Although I really have no idea. Was trying to figure out what was on the land prior to my mom’s home being built. Couldn’t really find anything other than Camp La Mesa (An Army camp from back in WWII). But its hard to tell exactly where this camp was located. Some old maps look like the was a train track near, but cant find any info.

Would you happen to know where I might find out info of what was on the land way back. (I tried El Cajon Historical Society but haven’t heard back as yet.)

Thank you-

Ted

................................................................................................................................................................

Followup, I told Ted to do his own homework (literally, it's his mom's home) or pay me to get to the bottom of it like anyone else you pay to do stuff you don't want to do, or trade me something I want, like a better paying job, guitar lessons, etc.

I told the the teacher that I'm no expert, and the one who is, would be Capt Jerry, the guy in the video, an found his email address, he happens to be running the business of informing tourists about the Erie Canal, and that stump puller..

Then I mentioned that the stump puller was adapted or evolved to the Michigan Wheel, a high wheel tree trunk / logging type of trailer https://justacarguy.blogspot.com/2014/10/the-long-forgotten-lumberjack-big-wheel.html  that was later evolved into the bulldozer pulled "Best Logging Wheeler" https://justacarguy.blogspot.com/2016/08/developed-in-early-1920s-best-logging.html  which was soon evolved into the Trailer Arch https://justacarguy.blogspot.com/2017/01/david-just-sent-me-link-to-van-atta.html

So,   I'm no expert, but I've blogged a lot about things with wheels... and that tree stump puller is one thing that I'm actually pretty darn happy to have learned of, posted about, and admired for it's force multiplier simple engineering, and historic importance, in the Mid West USA back in the day.

It's one of several things that make me pleased to do this blog, and learn about stuff that simply became obsolete, and yet, is a simple way to get things done, with wheels, that we don't use anymore because of things like not having a team of oxen around anymore, and instead, the easy availability of tractors, contractors, (see what I did there) and modern construction equipment like excavators, dozers (bigguns like the D11) etc

11 comments:

  1. Ah Ted, I, I hate to brake this to you. Cisterns, as far as I know, don't have wheels on them.

    As for the 5th grader? Well Jesse, how much experience do you have pulling stumps? I always thought a little dynamite worked pretty good, providing you're nowhere near it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Umm... I posted a stump puller! https://justacarguy.blogspot.com/2018/03/tree-stump-pulling.html

      Delete
    2. that's why she wrote me... thye were looking around online, and came across the stump puller, and the other stump removing videos I posted, and that's why she emailed me. The cistern thing was simply annoying. I did tell Ted to do his own homework, or pay me to, or trade me something I want if I'm going to do the simple stuff (look up old maps, city hall records of what that place was previous to a house being built on that property, etc)

      Delete
  2. If a Google was a guy... :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOPS! How could I forget that you posted something on stump pulling. But then, there's just so darn much you post it's hard to remember it all. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What? After all these years I find out this isn't the site for the Fletcher Hills Historical society? Oh the humanity!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jesse, I've got this old family photo album with a picture of a Black man with a Masonic pin. Can you tell me anything about that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. https://artblart.com/tag/heliopolis/

    heres a boat that was built by henry Shreve, for whom the town of shreveport was named, to clear trees and snags from the Red River

    https://artblart.com/tag/heliopolis/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Jesse, I think you've just opened up Pandora's Box.

    ReplyDelete