Monday, March 04, 2019

so, this is something, I'd been believing that these elevated watchtowers were for police, but instead, I learned they are coigns of vantage for railroad or trolley switchmen


“View of the intersection of Main, Spring, and 9th streets in downtown Los Angeles, circa 1937. A uniformed man sits in a booth on top of a pole in the foreground of this corner as pedestrians walk by underneath.

“Historical Note: In the early part of the 1900s, elevated booths were used by the Los Angeles Railway and the Yellow Cars as a switchman’s tower to control the flow and path of streetcars through the intersection.”

http://route22ny.tumblr.com/post/173305543222/view-of-the-intersection-of-main-spring-and-9th

2 comments:

  1. Man, talk about a solitary job. But I must confess, I want one of them towers. I dig the awnings. Nice banner by the way Jesse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the towers are pretty cool... keep in mind, you can always look up some, then draw up some plans to build your own.
      Thanks for the banner compliment! I was pretty happy with banners today! I made a couple you haven't seen yet, and a couple you have

      Delete