Saturday, September 07, 2019

Rob was born just before his parents sold off their 70 Road Runner, they brought him home from the hospital in it, and he heard stories of how they missed it all his life, 32 years of searching later? He finally found it!


I always heard stories of the car being local and just sitting in a garage somewhere. Growing up I became obsessed with this car, hanging the old photos in my room growing up. Buying every 70 rr orange matchbox , getting all the 70 models and making them into the same car as a child.

Fast forward to becoming a teen and being able to drive. I got the name of the buyer who my dad sold the car to and I tracked him down and knocked on his door. Never heard anything back after that day.

My dad passed away unexpectedly in 2009, and I started pursuing this again but always turned up with no news. Last year I placed a craigslist ad with pics looking for help, and a few weeks later learned of  6 known owners, 2 different states, and still no car but alot more key info to keep in mind.

But then the wife and I were looking to purchase our first home so I take the kids for a quick weekend drive to go past the place. We pull up to the house and directly next door I see a garage door half up with an orange 70 rr. I cant believe my eyes. I quickly went and left a note on the door. Not for sale, didn't really want to talk about the car.

What if this is my dads car? Its 20 minutes from home, and not even 5 minutes from where he worked for 30 years. Every time I left a note, I never got a call back.

Fast forward a year later and we found the perfect home. I pull up to the bank to get the closing check from our acct and as I'm getting out of the car I get a text about the 70 rr and they're ready to sell, I  reply text saying I want it and I'll come by any time.

The call finally comes one month later. My wife and I show up and for the first time I was able to see the whole car. This time it was pulled in with the back end showing.

Instantly the faded black paint on the tail light surrounds caught my eye. My dad painted his along with a few other things that were done in the early 80s, like a gtx honeycomb grille. He has me pull a drain pan out from under the car as he tells me it has a trans leak.

 Back then the 727 trans had a leak and the car got a gtx grille at some point as well. After 32 years of being separated from the car the search is over. We are going to take the kids out on the weekends for rides, just as I did in this exact car!

Every day I look at the car, It brings memories flooding back and reminds me of my dad.



https://www.facebook.com/lostmusclecars/posts/244172685926862
https://www.facebook.com/groups/996045710517424/permalink/2242266342562015/

No comments:

Post a Comment