Wednesday, May 29, 2019

coincidences are weird... yesterday's post about the circus train wreck was the first I'd heard of the Hagenbeck-Wallace Circus, now I learn their clowns were at the 1935 Soap Box Derby along with Eddie Rickenbacker and Tom Mix


Strange to find so many disparate connections to posts I've made all in the same place at the same time.

Eddie Rickenbacker I've covered a lot
Tom Mix had a couple interesting cars, and also had his own circus
and then, like I said, the circus I posted about yesterday  were incredibly famous at the time and their clowns were at the race to entertain the crowds
Gar Wood was also there

Anyway, in the final heat were 3 teens, and one, Loren Cantrell, went on to fight in the Battle of the Bulge, and earned a Silver Star. After the war he got married and had 5 kids.

https://books.google.com/books?id=9cjukII6ZVcC&pg=PA6&lpg=PA6&dq=the+Blue+Flame+Race+of+the+All-American+Soap+Box+Derby&source=bl&ots=UF_CSB_7oY&sig=ACfU3U3lIkQlZm8y_VB7ujf_vQlEV06NCg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiF3tKy9sDiAhWSpZ4KHckhBr0Q6AEwEnoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

No comments:

Post a Comment