Sunday, March 27, 2011

Chicago's first locomotive, the 1837 Pioneer

This was the first locomotive to operate out of Chicago. Called the Pioneer, it was built in 1837 by the Baldwin Locomotive Works of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and was originally used by the Utica and Schenectady Railroad in New York. It was later acquired by the Chicago and North Western Railway and put into service there in 1848. The Pioneer still survives, and is on display at the Chicago History Museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment