Monday, March 30, 2009

I can't tell what race series this competes in... the number 2 Miller Lite / PPG




I find the lack of thread interesting, rounded ends of the lugs, and wonder what the safety is in having longer lugs without threads.
Dan said...
on the studs; the round ends and blank lead-in would be for quick changes, with that amount of blank there is very little chance for a crossed thread and the round ends make it easier to get on target with the gun. As long as the nut covers sufficient thread I don't see any issues with safety.
Dan, I was wondering why the length... I recall that extra long lugs were a safety requirement, and thought it was to have the extra inch or so of threads... for the nut to have a hold on if it should lose the torque force smashing it onto the rim, it would then have some thread to keep that rim on the vehicle a little longer for the driver to feel or hear the loose rim, and safely get off the track.. that's why I wondered about the length of the lug... to have it bare is conflicting with what I thought was the safety feature of the extra threaded lenght. I love this, I get to learn from people who know stuff! I dig your explanation of the cross thread reason, and rounded lug end, I looked at those and immediately thought that was a good idea!

1 comment:

  1. on the studs; the round ends and blank lead-in would be for quick changes, with that amount of blank there is very little chance for a crossed thread and the round ends make it easier to get on target with the gun. As long as the nut covers sufficient thread I don't see any issues with safety.
    But I'd assume you would have guessed that anyway.

    On the Otto post, if you can track down the story of the Japanese turquoise scooter, it's an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete