Wednesday, August 05, 2020

road trip someday, fellow travelers wanted, advise requested from anyone that has done this

A road trip with no end in sight would be terrific if you had incredible company, like as a band of free love hippies with musicians on a tour of the national parks, living a wonderful life interrupted by the parks, going where the temps are cool in the summer, warm in the winter

Since most people either do not have anyone to travel with, or they are married with kids, my concept is to just put the word out far and wide on the internet, blogs, facebook, etc.

That I'm looking for a couple mellow guitar players, and maybe a piano player with a good full keyboard, and then rent a medium size rv.

No one that is argumentative, discusses politics or religion, but instead like to play cribbage, fish, and likes to be a storyteller of their lifetime stories, that have the time to waste just being gypsies on the roads and highways, who like to try diner food and can cook on a campfire too.

After all, why waste retirement swatting flies, watching tv, and being annoyed by the neighbors kids with loud subwoofers on the other side of the street 3 houses away?

Just a thought I think I must post, before I forget the wording.

Lets figure a drive up the west coast, across the country, down the east coast, then through the midwest. Lets hit that legendary swapmeet, see places you've wanted to see, visit old friends, family, old shipmates, people you served with in whatever branch of the military, old college roommates and best friends, national parks and lighthouses, small concert venues and similar performance art places, bluegill and panfish lakes, campgrounds and scenic views, museums and strawberry festivals, rivers to float down or kayak ... whatever comes along at the right time and place

Maybe even places to drop by and volunteer at - serious helping out on the fly, at kids hospitals, cat shelters, farms, ranches, VA hospitals, etc to earn some meals and meet incredible people - not as the goal of the road trip, but as a bonus when possible to help out, get some exercise, etc

12 comments:

  1. Can't play a guitar, have life stories for days, and love to do whatever! Sign me up for the duration!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're on, someday lets hit the road and see some stuff, scare some fish, play some cards, and have a great time!

      Delete
  2. I didn't do the full circle route, but plan to one day. Here is one of my trips. https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/b-bops-laid-off-make-the-most-of-it-solo-road-trip.1020556/. Get a classic car, and go by yourself. You will never be lonely and you don't have to kick anyone out of your camper half way through your adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK you! I've got a classic car, a 1969 Dodge R/T. http://justacarguy.blogspot.com/2013/12/for-my-new-job-i-was-tasked-with.html

      Too much of a gas hog though to road trip with. A nice old 4x4 would be a great choice, pulling a small pop up trailer, or small camper trailer - for going down old two rut roads in the mountains and forests to remote lakes and rivers.

      But I've driven cross country alone 10 times, it's no fun. It is lonely, which I experienced first hand. I do get what you're saying about kicking someone out, that is an unhappy possibility when dealing with anyone, old friends or strangers

      Delete
    2. thanks for the link too! I'm going to look through that right now

      Delete
    3. I dig your Model A and teardrop!

      Delete
    4. I've driven the 74 too... I live in San Diego, darn shame we hadn't become acquainted in time for your road trip!... and one was a driver for a lights and sound rental company, and had a sunset drive from San Diego into Palm Springs on the 74.
      Why they didn't route me on the 15 to the 10? I have no idea, I could have made it with the same time, at greater speeds, and less freaking stress about the rig I was driving on those tiny curves.
      Temecula to the 79, to the 371, to the 74. I came back in the dark, after midnight, and took the 10 to the 215 to the 15.

      Delete
    5. I'm reading through your trip, and am now at where you were on Highway 89 in Arizona. Which reminded me, that on one of my 10 cross country trips, I was coming out of Yellowstone's south end, past the Tetons, and got on highway 89, the most beautiful piece of road and roadside I've ever been on. From the Tetons to Ogden Utah.
      It's the most high recommendation I can give for a highway for beauty

      Delete
    6. Your foot tan lines made me laugh, a lot of us here in San Diego have similar foot tan lines. I sure have

      Delete
    7. I'm minutes away from the many Julian Pies.... but by they time you get one sent to you, and it arrives, the time in the transportation of it across thousands of miles will greatly reduce the taste. Only way to enjoy fruit is fresh, imo

      Delete
    8. Love your teardrop, posting!

      Delete
    9. Just finished the trip reading, how's the 5 yr old, and whatnot?

      Delete