Thursday, August 27, 2020

Bob Estes, before the Mobil Economy Runs, had this cool woody and an Indy race car


Leaving for Indy in 1948

Bob Estes grew up a car-crazy youth in Los Angeles who would own a couple gas stations, that he would sell in 1937, and go on to run a Hollywood Hudson dealership and later his own Lincoln-Mercury dealership.



Through the latter, he built many a car - oftentimes in conjunction with Bill Stroppe - to compete at Indianapolis, in La Carrera Panamericana, at Bonneville and in economy runs, with a number of noteworthy drivers.




3 comments:

  1. Hi!
    Bob Estes was my dad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. then I hope you think I did a good post about him, and if there's cool info and photos you'd like to share, let me know! my email is jbohjkl@yahoo.com

      Delete
    2. My Mom worked for Bob Estes car dealership in approx 1957-1959. I think it was Marina del Rey. I never knew what kind of cars they sold. Will ask her!!! She did like working there.

      Delete