Wednesday, February 27, 2019

the ruins of Union Station in Gary, Indiana were sold in 2018 to an artists group for ten dollars, by the city.... why not? They're the only ones who've done anything to make it nicer, and clean it up a bit.


They just might make it into a restaurant, museum, or something https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/29/us/train-stations-photos-middle-america.html


Federal transportation enhancement dollars were awarded to Gary within the last decade to shore up the structure's roof and otherwise stabilize the building, but the grant required a local match, which was unavailable from the city.








http://www.raddrewphotography.com/p/abandoned-gary.html
http://route22ny.tumblr.com/post/174930683852/volunteers-work-with-a-local-historic-preservation
https://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake/should-gary-s-old-union-station-be-saved/article_8f2676b2-f36f-5466-972e-275ba7077511.html
http://www.joebaugher.com/usaf_serials/1942_3a.html

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:53 AM

    Absolutely love your web site. Thankfully Joe Sherlock mentioned you one day and I've been reading your site ever since. I have no idea how you're able to provide so much content but thanks for doing so.

    From one car guy to another, Regards. HM
    ps. Just donated. Wish I could afford more. Hope it helps a little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! Thank you, and thanks to Joe for passing along that he liked something on my site!
      Umm, well, as to how I post so much? I don't have a wife, kids, money to enjoy life with (or I'd be on vacation, or doing things like enjoying atvs, boating, racing, you know, those expensive hobbies that are life's most thrilling and loved experiences) so, I have time on my hands and a great love for surfing the net, and then finding interesting things everywhere else too, like movies, books, magazines, and city streets, along with some car events, so, I spend all my spare time using my laptop instead.
      If I were a smart guy, I'd spend all my spare time learning something that would make me rich, but, my big effort towards work related things was right after high school and I burned out academically. hell, I may have injured my brain, because when I was a kid I could soak up academics and test out well, but now I can't remember very well at all. Not even of things I've done, seen, read, or blogged about.
      Well, anyway, that's how I blog so much, I can't do much of anything else without spending money, and I have a lot of credit card debt to pay down, still.
      Thanks for the tip, I'll post a tip cup in a moment, but I sure do appreciate the cash, every bit helps a lot! As for affording more, as I recently said to someone, if you feel strongly enough about it, you can pay it forward, and recommend my blog to other people that might like it, or help stray cats, old vets, and dirty car guys. And if you have pull with anyone that can hook a guy up with pizza? Then welcome to being my new best friend, lol!

      Delete