Friday, August 26, 2011

For a fun 1980's street racing movie about a high schooler with a blown 350 Chevelle and a need to raise money betting on his wining the races, watch "Catch Me If You Can" on youtube, because it's no where else


http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097029/?ref_=nv_sr_2



The movie starts with the guy racing a 73 Duster,  


Then having to try his Chevelle against local senior talent, the Sandman. The Sandman was played by an incredibly long working guy, Bob Minor, who has been doing movie and tv stunts and stunt coordinator work since 1970. He's worked in lots of the blaxploitation movies, and Starsky and Hutch, Kojak, Magnum PI, Boyz in the Hood, Die Hard 4, Conspiracy Theory, Oceans 11, The Italian Job and many more. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0591567/



 The Sandman couldn't make the curve when the cops started chasing the streetracers, and wiped out

 then the guy has several races against some cool cars, and keeps winning.

And with his confidence at an all time high, he then takes a high stakes bet with the local gangster loan shark, the Fatman, (H Emmet Walsh) that he can beat the gangters driver, the rotton crook gangster fixes the race with a ringer who destroys the Chevelle, and the high schooler loses his money.

in a desperate attempt to win double or nothing, the kid bets he can beat the local street racing legend "Fast Freddy" 's historically famous high speed run from Minneapolis to St Paul. Surpise polt twist, the kids High School Principle (Geoffrey Lewis) was Fast Freddy, and the 57 Chev that made that race is buried under the football field, ready to get vengeance against the gangster

The high school auto shop class gets the 57 Chev race ready, and pulls off the first water soluble paint job in a movie I ever saw. Also the first example of the one car gets chased into a building by cops, but lots of identical cars leave, and the cops can't track the right car... trick. Mix them together and a red car goes in but leaves a car wash blue with a flamejob, among a dozen other cars or various colors



This movie is fun, but never going to get put on DVD, there just isn't a demand for 1980's high school action street racing movies. The VHS is so rare, the one guy who has them on Amazon, wants $170 dollars.

I hate price gougers, so I'm telling all of you you can watch it free on You Tube. https://youtu.be/DIA9CST5Vxk   The quality isn't sharp, but neither was 1980's tv and movie resolution.

16 comments:

  1. I just watched Stunts (1977 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076776/) from Netflix on DVD, and the quality of it was like someone made the DVD from a VHS tape recorded off a TV with rabbit ears. I bet the youtube quality is about the same. Another that's on Youtube is Stingray. I love that movie. http://www.youtube.com/movie?v=g3JiQjWEJ24&ob=av1n&feature=mv_sr

    ReplyDelete
  2. what was th name of the movie, with the 57 in the field?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or download it here for free

    http://kat.ph/catch-me-if-you-can-year-1989-actor-matt-lattanzi-t2180451.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://kat.ph/catch-me-if-you-can-year-1989-actor-matt-lattanzi-t2180451.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. loved this movie, if i remember right the was a foul up,, 3 on the tree ,then same scene, floor shift

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love this movie. Haven't seen it in years. Tried to watch it on you tube only to find this movie is unavailable. 😔

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. damn. Well... maybe someday they'll get it on DVD or Netflix

      Delete
  7. This movie has to be available somewhere. I've been asking people about it for over 20 years and nobody knows what I'm talking about. Where can I find it? It was awesome and I have to see it again. I only saw it the one time on tv when I was a young child. It's been on my mind ever since. 20 yrs!!! Somebody help me find this damn movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, I watched it in the 90s sometime, loved it, and never could find anything about it since. All I can hope is that looking for it once a year will turn up something

      Delete
    2. I bet you were surprised to see my post on it!

      Delete
    3. Go to lostmoviesfound.com

      Delete
  8. I bought a vhs copy of it years ago and still have it in the original case! I had a buddy at work somehow transfer it to DVD for me and put the vhs back in the box. The quality is obviously vhs even though it's on DVD, but it's actually pretty good. Awesome movie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great movie , funny , I like this , good article , thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome, and thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  10. It's now on VUDU.. unfortunately not in Widescreen.. It was released on Laserdisc, not sure if it was Widescreen or not.. Would be nice if someone would rip it from the Laserdisc..

    ReplyDelete