Wednesday, July 15, 2020

The National WWII Museum is restoring a WC-9 Field Ambulance to its former glory.



 \

the museum has their own mechanic that not only keeps their fleet of historic vehicles running but also restores some of the museum’s soon to be seen vehicles.

 Most days of the week you can find Joey Culligan, a retired NASA employee of 30 years, working in their warehouse on a tank, truck or jeep.

Joey restored this WC-9 Field Ambulance one of 2,288 1941 Dodge WC-9s to resemble a WC-9 that would have been assigned to a medical group in Italy in 1943.

Nicknamed Charity, the ambulance was purchased by the Museum in 2005 with funds raised by the Charity Hospital School of Nursing Alumni Association. The funds for the restoration were made possible through a generous donation by Tom, Lois, and Leo Knudson in honor of Edith M. Rubright “Ruby” Knudson Key.

Charity is one of 2,288 WC-9s that were built in 1941 by Dodge.

The 68th Medical Group supported the First Army in the ETO from June 1944 to May 1945 during which their ambulances traveled 2.6 million miles and transported over 200,000 patients.



http://www.nww2m.com/2015/04/bringing-charity-to-life-2/
https://www.nationalww2museum.org/visit/museum-campus/us-freedom-pavilion/vehicles-war/dodge-wc-54-ambulance

5 comments:

  1. If you ever get the opportunity to go to World War 11 museum in New Orleans, I highly recommend it. It is truly a top notch operation that is worth every exhausting second. Go early in the day and plan to take a break between the Pacific & European Campaigns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a long list of museums across the country that I hope I can see someday. Heavens only knows if that will be possible... I image the cost of door admission alone will be hundreds of dollars, and hotels, and I do NOT mean expensive ones, I mean the cheapest available anywhere, will be thousands of dollars. I figure the only way it's even possible is to drive a truck, and have a camper trailer to live in while on the road, going around the country, seeing all the museums, etc, and stopping by and meeting so many people I've met while blogging, and also my family, my shipmates from the decade I was in the Navy, etc. It's a tall order to even contemplate

      Delete
    2. I have been making this list for over a decade, and though some museums may be out of business after this extended virus shutdown, I have verified that each one exists, was in business when I added it to my list, and has a website so it can be looked up fast and easy http://justacarguy.blogspot.com/2011/02/if-you-are-looking-to-visit-car-museums.html

      Delete
    3. Wow Jesse, thank you for checking on that. Much appreciated sir. And as for the for the field ambulance, total labor of love on that restoration. Beautiful.

      Delete
  2. Highly recommended to see this one.. I have been twice to see new exhibits and both were fine experiences.. For aircraft stuff, the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola is a definite "GO SEE" It is about 200 miles east of the WW II Museum in New Orleans.

    ReplyDelete