Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Lucky me, I found the gold mine of the "daily ladder" on my way home last week


only HALF way into my lane. So I went around it, pulled off the road, and walked back to pull this mass off the damn road.

Just in time to help the contractor guy who had hit that tree on the far side of them, when he veered off the road, a lot.

Why he did that, I'm not sure.

But it pulled the RACK off the van he was driving, and all 4 ladders, still very well tied down to the rack.  Seriously, those 4 were going to stay with that rack through earthquakes, ice ages, or a Hollywood pre nup divorce!

If you haven't heard of the "daily ladder" you're lucky, and not living in a contractor dense metropolis like San Diego, were there are plenty of houses, businesses, and rich people who need guys with ladders to come around and fix stuff. So, every damn day, somewhere, on some interstate (we've got a lot of them, the 5, the 8, the 805, 163, 94, 125, 52, 78, etc etc) at least ONE ladder falls off a truck or van because those guys are in too damn big a hurry to lock down their ladders. Hell, we are lucky there aren't more buckets, and power cords on the interstates. 

2 comments:

  1. Jesse you see that most amazing things on the road out there. glad no one was hurt. Ah, just curios, how many items have you found out there that were not calmed? One could do a blog on just that alone. Well, maybe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. claimed? Clamped? I know you must have meant a word other than calmed. I've seen a wheelbarrow, lots of furniture, mattresses, ladders, clothes, garbage bags full of garbage but appear to be disposed of on the side of the interstates, chains, power cords, ropes, cassettes, cds, load braces, the Home Depot HOMER buckets, lots of hats, shoes, sheets of plywood, a Dominoes big roof sign that was supposed to magnetically adhere to the car roof of the delivery guys car, 2 multiplier tools, ... probably other things I can't remember.
      I've driven across the country 7 or 8 times (nothing compared to anyone that is a trucker, but a lot for someone who isn't paid to drive across country I believe) and driven extensively in the cities I've lived in to where I am certain I could have gotten a job as a taxi driver, and as a matter of fact, DID apply to be a chauffeur once, and passed the test on roads and places.
      In the 25 years I've been in San Diego I've had a couple jobs that had me drive EVERY where in the county, and I've gotten to know this city EXTREMELY well. I've been a cable guy and a meter reader and stage equipment delivery driver. Those jobs have you on the roads a LOT. I've put a ridiculous amount of miles on both company vehicles and my own. THis year I've finally quit driving to a dozen LA car shows a year, and a couple in Vegas, and one in Phoenix. I put 65k on my last car in 3 years, and only 54k on this car in 4.5
      I don't think a blog of photos of things found on the road would be a productive one. It wouldn't get me any credit as a journalist, but might showcase photography. I don't think there would be many readers, but who knows. Tom Hanks posts the Fiats he finds, and lost, single gloves. So, who knows? It would make a cute little art book, but who would pay to have a copy, vs just thumb through it in the store and move on?

      Delete