Wednesday, May 02, 2018

brand new tires are easy to spot, they still have the little quills... and I just learned the actual name for them

venting sprues

I've heard them called a lot of things, but never a scientifically accurate, tire world type, real name


  1. From reading the meaning on I think the sprue is actually the hole on the tyre mould, not the little 'titty' on the tyre.

    No I hadn't heard that before either.

    1. A sprue is a vent for when casting metal or rubber molds, the hot liquid goes in, and needs lots of venting tubes to release the air all around, so it gets properly filled with metal or rubber... I learned about them in high school when taking metal shop class