Saturday, February 28, 2015

A Nimbus in Japan, /or/, meet Kim!


I was wondering about a cool guy that comments now and then, and he can spot an Indian in a 1948 photo like nobody else you'll ever meet... when I learned by clicking on his Google profile that he has blogged about his trip to Japan with his Nimbus

One of the first things on his blog just cracks me up:

"so here I walk along in the darkness, jetlagged out of my mind, speaking French with an 80-year old Master Yoda clone on a bicycle. Good start." ... 

"In some places the town reminds me a bit of New York City, in others even about the movie ‘The Fifth Element’, because it is humid and hot, and there are people and traffic everywhere. It also has all the charm of Hamburg (i.e. none), which was bombed to bits in WW2."

The good news is that I may get the Nimbus through customs tomorrow. A local contact – Crazy Pete a.k.a. Schuichi – has helped me locate an insurance company, and with explaining to the airport people how important it is that this bike be no further delayed.

Third party coverage for two months is a modest 6,000 yen, probably less than it cost the insurance company to have 4-5 of their people taking are of my business. Fine service, though, deep bows all around. Even less expensive is a 1:200,000 road map that I finally track down. It is completely devoid of those ugly Latin characters, which no doubt will make it interesting to use when out there. 

So, if you want a funny read about a road trip through Japan on a Nimbus (you can't make this stuff up folks) to pass the time while you are stuck on the bus, train, or in line waiting at the DMV ...

http://nimbustripinjapan.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment