Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Sonny and Cher Mustangs that Barris kustomized went for $198,000










http://www.pbase.com/xl1ken/fff0502

The pair stayed together and sold for $198,000.
Both cars were originally taken straight off Ford’s San Jose assembly line and the Motor Company commissioned the legendary George Barris to personalize these cars to reflect the couple’s flamboyant onstage personas.

Sonny’s Mustang was finished in Murano Gold Pearl, adorned by dark brown side panel and with an orange and gold fade-away treatment over the wheel wells and grille openings. The interior was upholstered with Bobcat fur and antique buffed leather trimmed with rustic suede.
Cher’s Mustang featured a hot pink pearl finish, blended with candy red, deep red side panels and a matching fade-away treatment. It also had white Ermine fur and black antique Scottish leather upholstery, trimmed in hot pink suede. Both cars were fitted with opulent three-inch long Mouton fur carpeting, Sonny’s in gold and Cher’s in hot pink.

Upon completion, the cars were used for publicity purposes before going on to appear in Sonny and Cher’s only feature-length movie, Good Times. Following the movie’s wrap, they toured the car show circuit before they were returned for the use of Sonny and Cher and later reverted back to George Barris. http://classiccars.about.com/

1 comment:

  1. Just saw these cars sell for a bit less at Barrett Jackson in Scotsdale Jan 2010. I notice your pics show some variation in the cars. Wondering why. I originally saw them years ago at Barris in North Hollywood when I think just one of the two were in the front window. I believe I saw them some years later a a car show in Griffith Park. I understand that these might be going to a collection or a museum in Alaska. I live closer to that location today and hope someone can tell me if they can be viewed. I actually purchased a tv car from Barris in the late seventies when he tried his hand at a silent auction in Van Nuys on Sepulveda Blvd. I bought a 68 firebird 400 convert with 1200 miles on it for 1500.00 Unfortunately for some reason they were not able to complete the sale with me. He had a bunch of Batmobiles there at the auction and one in particular was fuzzy black velvet with a push button drive in the steering wheel from an Edsel. Wish I had that one now too. Oh well , got a 07 Mustang Refire modded coupe that is my latest of a long list of car indulgences.

    ReplyDelete