Sunday, September 13, 2026

strange but true... GM put plaid valve covers on a truck engine in 63, only on half-ton trucks equipped with the 305-cubic-inch V6 for the 1963 model year.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/gmc-offered-plaid-valve-covers-as-a-factory-option-in-1963

3 comments:

  1. I asked Google if 1963 GM plaid valve covers were connected to Tesla model S Plaid? Nope. The Tesla Plaid Origin: Elon Musk named Tesla's high-performance powertrain after the 1987 Mel Brooks sci-fi parody film Spaceballs. In the movie, the spaceship Spaceball One travels through ridiculous speeds: Light Speed, Ridiculous Speed, Ludicrous Speed, and finally, "Going Plaid". When the ship reaches Plaid speed, it moves so fast that the stars warp into a literal tartan plaid pattern. Tesla previously introduced "Ludicrous Mode" for acceleration, so "Plaid" was chosen as the ultimate step above it.
    The 1963 GM Plaid Valve Covers Origin: For the 1963 model year, GMC briefly put tartan plaid valve covers on half-ton trucks equipped with the 305-cubic-inch V6 engine. According to historical accounts from former GM engineers, the factory used plaid adhesive shelf paper to physically mark engines that had been upgraded with new carburetors and camshafts to improve poor fuel economy. GM's marketing team saw the improvised covers and decided to put them into production to lean into the cultural stereotype of Scottish thriftiness (implying the truck was "thrifty" on gas).

    https://share.google/aimode/mcHKKxQpKCdDd6fu6

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. outstanding! Thank you! I didn't even put those together (plaid - Scottish stereotype from the 1800s) and remember the Spaceballs speeds, but didn't link those with the Tesla speeds... wow! I'll post those today! Thank you!

      Delete
    2. I just double checked the source I found this valve cover info on, that motivated me to share it here on my blog, and yes, they posted the same info you sent, " For the 1963 model year, GMC briefly put tartan plaid valve covers on half-ton trucks equipped with the 305-cubic-inch V6 engine. According to historical accounts from former GM engineers, the factory used plaid adhesive shelf paper to physically mark engines that had been upgraded with new carburetors and camshafts to improve poor fuel economy. GM's marketing team saw the improvised covers and decided to put them into production to lean into the cultural stereotype of Scottish thriftiness (implying the truck was "thrifty" on gas)"
      and that is why I always include the links to where I find things if it's something I came across online

      Delete