Friday, December 22, 2023

I've posted about a lot of types of trains, but, never realized there was another I've failed to take a look at... Cog Railways.



My Washington (above) was the first, which carried its first fare-paying passengers in 1868, and another famous one is Pikes Peak

A Cog Railway is also known as a Rack Railway, defined as a a steep grade railway with a toothed rack rail, usually between the running rails. The trains are fitted with one or more cog wheels or pinions that mesh with this rack rail.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks. You gave me another idea for our 2024 vacation. These are fun although the original purpose was to surmount intractable inclines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Words of caution. If you think you want to do the Mt. Washington one book it way in advance. My wife an I thought we'd book it for the popular fall "leaf peeper" season a month before our planned trip, only to find out they're booked months in advance

    ReplyDelete