Thursday, August 16, 2018

Ned Jarrett won the 1965 Southern 500 at Darlington by a NASCAR-record 14 laps, ahead of only 14 cars that finished the race, of 44 starters


In fact, the last 100 miles Jarrett's car was overheating so badly that every time it would accelerate going down the straightaway, the gauge would peg at 240 degrees. That meant the engine was actually running even hotter, so Jarrett decided to try something he had never done before.

"When I got ready to decelerate going into the turn, I didn't take my foot off the gas, but just turned the ignition switch off and let the raw gasoline run in," said Jarrett. "Sure enough, it would cool off 20-25 degrees. It was fun to be able to see that idea come to fruition, and it was also good for the fans because every time I cut the switch back on the car would backfire, so it would keep them awake. When you're 12-14 laps ahead of the field it's a pretty boring race, but that helped me nurse the car to the end and make it."



just because something happened 53 years ago, and I never heard about it now, doesn't reduce my amazement to learn about it... sure beats doing new car reviews! (BOring!)

http://performance.ford.com/heritage/articles/2011/09/ned-jarrett-wins-1965-southern-500-at-darlington-raceway-by-nascar-record-14-laps.html
https://www.motorsport.com/us/general/video/lapping-the-field-jarrett-s-14-lap-margin-in-1965-southern-500/35369/

7 comments:

  1. Ned Jarrett was a class act! I miss the days when he and "buffet" Benny Parsons were commentators for Nascar. They were knowledgeable yet funny as all get out! Way better than today's coverage in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I'd been interested enough in Nascar then to listen in... but I didn't get hooked on cars until my 30s, about a dozen years ago

      Delete
    2. Ditto that Dale! Two great guys, both great drivers and both great broadcasters. I had the pleasure of meeting Benny once and what a nice, down to earth guy!

      Delete
  2. Hey, better late than never! Some people never see the light of anything. They just exist. Pretty sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What? Something you've never heard before. I don't think I heard you say that before. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol... ha! Well, it's a surprise to me to keep learning new things! When something comes to my attention for the 1st time, after all these years? I find that startling and remarkable

      Delete
  4. A friend in high school would do the same thing as we were rockn' down the highway, just for fun...I don't remember him ever having to buy a new muffler...

    ReplyDelete