Friday, July 07, 2017

the fire that melted off the wing of a 767 last October at O'Hare airport resulted in an NTSB report that took 12 months to get released to the public. Do they think we'll forget if they delay long enough?

It took at least a minute from the time the plane stopped until the copilot reported shutting off fuel to the engines, according to a transcript of the cockpit’s voice recorder. (That's a big damn problem when some idiot doesn't understand fire 101, turn off the damn jet fuel pumps immediately!)

What was learned? Pilots aren't able to be yelled at from the cabin, there's no way to shut off the engines from the cabin in order to deploy the emergency exit chutes, and it's obvious that locking the door to the pilots will cause big damn problems in similar emergencies like this when the engines catch the plane on fire, and the pilots and cabin crew can't prioritize, because they are trying to follow checklists.

Pilots told investigators that it took a long time to depressurize the cabin, which was required in the evacuation checklist before shutting off the engine and ordering an evacuation. The captain described the checklist as “cumbersome.”

Sully proved why a good pilot should do the right thing, not the checklist, in an emergency

After the past 6 months of horrible airline treatment of passengers, it's no wonder why this report was delayed. Airlines didn't want a dogpile of bad publicity preventing people from flying. Those planes have to keep on schedule whether full or empty, and if they are all empty, they're losing money at a rapid rate for the airlines, which go out of business. If the airlines fail, airports fail. When airlines, and aiports fail, the govt will bleed red ink like mad, and quickly learn the cost of a failed system that the govt will have to prop up with ridiculous amounts of money.

Here's the info from the report, keep in mind, the plane was moving at 154mph when the engine broke apart

According to the NTSB, passengers said they heard a loud bang during takeoff and the aircraft wobbled. Flames were detected almost immediately. Passengers moved from the right side of the plane to the left, shouting at flight attendants to open emergency doors as the plane came to a halt and the cabin filled with smoke. The effort to evacuate the plane was hindered by the undamaged engine still running.

One passenger told investigators he could see flames coming from the right wing and windows on that side of the aircraft began to crack. He said the crew was telling passengers to stay in their seats, and thinking that was odd because the right side of the plane was in flames.

"He stated the only thing to do was get out of the airplane fast, which he did," the NTSB reported.

The passenger said he opened a left exit hatch, climbed on the wing and tumbled down the slide, resulting in an injury. He said he stood up to get away from the plane and was blown over by the thrust of the still-running left engine.

Flight attendants said they weren’t able to contact the cockpit to coordinate the evacuation with the pilots. Passengers had begun racing to the left side of the plane even before it stopped on the runway. Some people insisted on trying to bring their bags with them despite repeated calls to leave them by flight attendants.

No comments:

Post a Comment