Tuesday, December 31, 2013

before buying a new car, get a 2nd opinion. I have written about my experience, here is Tom from the Garage Blog telling you his

http://thegarageblog.com/garage/how-to-buy-a-new-car-part-i/#idc-container

Personally, I prefer to lease. Yes, you can argue that I never actually own the car, and you are right. But, like most people, I do not have $25,000 under my mattress to buy a new car.
My requirements were simple. A 36 month lease, 12,000 miles a year, nothing down.


 Also, I had two things working in my favor. I sold new and used Hondas before I went away to college, so I know how the system works. But the biggest weapon I brought to the table was you, our readers. And I made it perfectly clear that I would be naming names, and fully documenting my car shopping experience. You might think this would have them scared straight, right? Think again.

As a member of the auto media, I do have access to employee pricing. Yes, it is a perk of being in the business, but when you are a car journalist, people do ask what car sits in my driveway. And that answer has enough gravity that the car companies are willing to extend that discount to me. 

(I had no idea when buying my Veloster or Cruze... Jesse)

And so, I contacted General Motors offices in New York City, asked, and received, the discount. Authorization code in hand from my printed e-mail, I marched down to Chevrolet of Milford at the end of July. I was given pricing. I said I was not ready to buy, since my lease did not terminate until the end of August. Come August, I requested new pricing. Amazingly, with the 2014’s on their way, Chevy of Milford added $500 to the price originally quoted days before. 

 
The story gets better. Because of my employee pricing, GM gave me a link to see what my discounts would be. For a 2013 Chevy Cruze, I was entitled to a $2,000 discount. Also, since I am a member of USAA, I was eligible for an additional $500 discount, for a total of $2,500 off sticker price. I study the paperwork from Chevy of Milford. My discount is nowhere near that amount.


This is just a quick excerpt.. his two closest dealerships were morons, and shot themselves in the foot. Not only did Tom spread the word about how bad he was treated, I'm echoing the story to my readers, and blog followers.

http://thegarageblog.com/garage/how-to-buy-a-new-car-part-i/#idc-container

No comments:

Post a Comment