Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Advertising and marketing... when successful, it's a brilliant way to get other people to advertise for you (look at t-shirts, you pay for it, and advertise for whatever is on it) Take car insurance advertising for example



As for actually saving you money? I doubt it.

Of course, that all depends, as I've found that people generally don't price shop for car insurance, they go with whatever company their parents had when getting their first car, and then if they move, they don't realize that in different states, rates can be really bad with one company, but not others.

For example, I was with State Farm right after high school... but, when the Navy transferred me from Florida to Hawaii, and then to California, it turns out that the insurance rates become a lot different when I was through with my decade in the Navy.... and California State Farm didn't want anything to do with me. I believe I had one speeding ticket. They basically said, look, we're either going to charge you double, or, you can go find another car ins company to get insurance with.

But, not a week goes by that some insurance company like Geico won't waste your time trying to tell you how much you "Could" save by switching. That's a load of bullshit though, they simply want your data, like everyone else, to send you junk mail, get your stats, metrics, etc.

And though some companies won't screw you over as bad for speeding tickets, fender benders, etc, others will not renew you as you're not a perfect driver with a clean record anymore, they want your money, but not if there is a single chance you're going to cost them money in an insurance claim. State Farm was like that, they only wanted old people that didn't drive much at all anymore, and when they did drive, drove so damn carefully and so little, like the proverbial little old lady, that there was the least amount of risk possible of ever getting into a wreck between the canasta game and the lawn bowling parking lot. Plus, the rates for those old people luxury cars are 1/4 that of most yuppies cars... like, look at a Chrysler Town and Country vs a BMW whatever.

It's been a while since a funny car insurance commercial was out https://justacarguy.blogspot.com/2015/11/this-is-hilarious-horror-movie-reality.html

Remember, only 10% of customers switch insurance companies https://justacarguy.blogspot.com/2015/09/car-insurance-companies-wasted-6.html

Damn, I need to do another insurance comparison post, it's been years since I did a price comparison.

4 comments:

  1. That image reminds me of a Toyota ad I enjoyed some years ago (it helps if you know about the Loch Ness monster).
    Tony
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFdWg2u1LPU

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried USAA insurance? I got it because my dad was in the Air Force long ago. You should be eligible because of your Navy service.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they quoted me hundreds more than all other insurance companies when I price compared years ago. It's time for another look at all insurance companies though!

      Delete