Thursday, August 03, 2023

just how well you know your area, depends on how long you've lived there. Because there are a lot of miles of road in most states, 700,000 just in Texas, it's not even possible to be well acquainted with very must territory in one life time

 Most of us get pretty well acquainted with any city we live in, all of it's major interstates, etc. 

If you've been in the military, and traveled more than most people who just get a diploma, a job, and a home, you probably know several cities pretty well. 

I learned Orlando, Oahu, San Diego and LA pretty well, Vegas a bit, and some small towns near the bases I was stationed at, and my home towns. (yes, two, I covered that in previous posts) 

I think it might be aspirational to decide to just wander around the country, and get to know it in retirement, like some people with RVs have. It certainly is a goal of mine I can see no way to realize, as that simply is a very very expensive thing to do and still have money for food, and a place to sleep, without a job - without even mentioning the gas you'd have to pay for now that it's 5 bucks a gallon in California, and about 3 bucks a gallon everywhere else. 

2 comments:

  1. I've been doing it for years, even when working, just took time off..The 1st Van was a 1969 Dodge A108, Slant 6, 3 on that tree.
    Just built a cheap frame for a mattress, tossed a couple of coolers in it; and my dresser tied with bungie cords to the wall. I asked the current lady and off we'd go!...Do it, no one promised me tomorrow. You?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never had the life where I could afford it, and that's sorta circumstances, and sorta my fault. Of course, if ti were a priority, I'm pretty sure I would do the things that would make it happen.
      I didn't have the income to do it for sure, and chose do the Navy right after high school graduation, so for the 10 years I was a squid, I couldn't afford much more than a cheap used car, but, while I was in, every time I transferred from base to base I made a road trip of it. I never was lucky enough to have a girlfriend that wanted to road trip with me, or a buddy that COULD when I needed to move, but I did get to drive from north to south a couple times, and east to west a couple times.
      Driving long distance coast to coast is pretty cool, if a person isn't in a rush, and can stop and see the cool things along the way.
      The St Louis Arch, Yellowstone, the Sequioas, NYC, Washington DC, Assateague's wild horses, Daytona for spring break,
      But I never did it comfortably, with a van. I'd like to though, or better yet, just very very slowly and thoroughly wander with very little planned, out to see the most, at the least expensive way, working odd jobs to pay the way.
      Maybe some day in retirement years if social security still exists

      Delete