Saturday, December 03, 2022

I figure you all know what a Gow Job is, (I've posted about the term, and about the cars) but I just learned that 1st Lieutenant Loren Hintz named his P 47 Thunderbolt, "Gow Job"

https://www.aircorpsaviation.com/october-november-dakota-territory-air-museum-p-47-update-4
this artistic rendering is by Gaetan Marie


On April 21, 1945, Hintz was shot down over Italy in his P-47 Thunderbolt while on a combat mission during the final days of World War 2.

Hans Wronka spearheaded a 12-year search that culminated in the recovery of the wreck of his grandfather’s P-47, dog tag, and bones from the crash site and resting place, beneath a farm field in Bologna Italy in 2016.

Hintz is no longer MIA. 

The descendants and family of 1st Lt Loren Hintz cleaned dirt off pieces of metal, glass, and other material that was excavated from 18 feet below the field's surface. 


Among the objects found at the location, his dog tag


a 50 cal


The carb, a good-sized piece of firewall, and the R-2800 engine

4 comments:

  1. I had no idea, but Google is my friend. ;-)
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/gow-job.34415/
    Again, I learned something cool today, thanks to you Jesse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nice! Every time I hear Gow Job I remember this car from 2009 https://justacarguy.blogspot.com/2009/03/gow-job-was-at-trueline.html

      Delete
  2. Good he wasn't forgotten. Good they brought him home. If you're interested, read 'Dead Of Winter' about how they go around the world searching for these guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, I know about it, and have posted about it about once every other year or so...
      plus, I was in the military for a decade, been to 3 national cemetaries, Arlington, Punchbowl, and Ft Rosecrans - and one of my grandads was in WW2. I've heard about the POWs, MIAs, the locating of the planes, ships, and soldiers, etc etc. then how they are identified (one of my girlfriends was a forensic pathologist, who volunteered during Katrina) and reunited with their families.
      Plus, the several stories I've posted. Read a book about it? No thank you, way too heavy, way too somber. I'd rather just look around for interesting stuff to post about.

      Delete