Saturday, October 03, 2020

sold for $400,000. Some rich guy invested in this primo GT 350 to flip it after having some fun. The video is on Maui's highway 378 aka Haleakala highway, with only one Prius coming down the hill in 4.5 minutes of charging uphill

I hope you play both, the car is mighty original, and those trunk stickers are cool! But the sound of the engine? Damn it. That's sweet!

Hard to believe you can build one exactly like this for under 100k, and never worry about damaging an investment grade original when you use it as a commuter

This hill climb is on Maui (of course, where the rich have the island to themselves) highway 378 in Hawaii, aka Haleakala Highway, was built to climb to the volcano crater, rising from about 3500' to 6700' with 22 switchbacks.  (thanks Darryl!)

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-shelby-mustang-gt350-5/

Am I nuts? Or is this county paid for, fresh pavement, just a country club wet dream for the millionaires that move nearby? And by nearby, I mean on the island 24 miles wide. How long would it possibly take for the rich people with cool cars to get to the bottom of this road and have a pick up game of "race you to the top" 

6 comments:

  1. Great car, so so video. I could drive my wife's Hyundai GT around the course faster than that. I guess that's what you get when you drive a muscle car in flip flops! I'm sure he thought he was cutting a fat hogs ass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got 20 bucks says you're wrong with identical amount of precipitation. He's not racing up the hill, he's just showing off the car... to SELL it.
      Let's not get a stick up our collective ass because he's not walking the edge of traction and crashing into a damn mountain walled side of the road.
      Anyway, I got 20 bucks that says you can't get up that same area of road faster, as the road gets wetter the higher you go.
      I think you'd be advised not to try, would you agree? Those are some very sharp switchbacks, and he's doing just fine with a 55 year old car with street tires, not sticky tires, and original suspension, not a Detroit Speed latest version of a cone killer.
      And again, nearly a half million dollar car, out to make a video to sell the sizzle, not to race up the hill.
      Don't be a lazy hater, grabbing the low hanging fruit because you're bored.
      Sweet car, be happy for whoever gets to push the loud pedal.

      Delete
  2. Not a hater on any level and I understand what he's doing the video for. The Hyundai comment was apparently in poor humor. I come to this site daily and will continue to do so. However next time I'll be more careful not to step on my dick or your postings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. already forgiven and forgotten good sir

      Delete
  3. I have made that ascent on a motorcycle numerous times. It is a fun ride. The highway is nicely laid out with no decreasing radius curves. The biggest danger is encountering distracted tourists who are gazing off into the unobstructed vista down to the coast.

    I once coasted a Honda 600 from the top down 27 miles to the first intersection. Admittedly I had to start the car and use engine power for .2 of a mile on the flat stretch about half way down, but it was a fun ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet it's amazing. Damn shame they don't shut down the road for closed course downhill racing with soapbox and gravity racers!

      Delete