Wednesday, May 13, 2020

in 1995 Levi's 501 jeans had an advertising campaign I really admired, as I found I was the audience they were targetting, with 501 reasons to want to wear a pair of 501s



and that, was reason 43. Soap box derby racing.

No. 061 "Ironing sucks"
No. 013 "64% of female sexual fantasies include them."
No. 7 "In Prague, you can trade them for a car."



See what I mean?  Oh, and the kid driving? Is Kate Moss' brother

Foote Cone and Belding was the ad agency from San Francisco, and they did not have a #1 reason to wear the 501s. Isn't that odd?

Reason #2, that's a dangerous place to put a zipper

What has been annoying me since 1995, is that I only ever saw the Levi's  commercial with the Super Bee once. It was reason 42 I think... but I can't remember for sure








and I bet you didn't know that Spike Jonze and Gus Van Sant directed two of these commercials, or that Brad Pitt drove a Galaxie 500 in a Levi's commercial


but did you know they can be used to tow a car?



for an outstanding analysis and investigative journalism research into why Levi's dropped out of the market after the 1995 "Reasons" ad campaign, read https://www.adweek.com/brand-marketing/red-white-and-blue-levi-strauss-co-24494/. I didn't even know there was a 1970s settlement of a federal price-fixing case. 

No comments:

Post a Comment