Thursday, May 14, 2020

best story I've read this month... how Steve traded a motorcycle for an Aston Martin DB4


This is the car, serial number 163, and Peter Ustinov's was serial number 161!

Stephan commented today on the Peter Ustinov post:

I owned a DB-4 Series I,
 I got the Aston from my acquaintance Larry Rivers, the abstract painter, who had pretty much trashed it.

Traded him a nice BSA 650 and not a hell of a lot of money. The story gets better.

I had crashed the 650 and broke a lot of cooling fins on one cylinder, which I replaced myself, along with a new piston, though I really didn't know what I was doing.

When I drove the bike down to Rivers' Greenwich Village studio to deliver it, it began to overheat and seize up on me. In retrospect, I think I had neglected to properly size the piston-ring end gaps.

The next morning, Larry called. "Oh boy, there goes my Aston Martin," I thought.

No, Rivers said that the bike had been stolen overnight from outside his studio. He never even got to ride it. What a shame

1 comment:

  1. One mistake I made: my car's serial number was indeed 161, but it was the engine s/n that was 163, not Ustinov's car. (Apparently, Aston had rejected two engines somewhere along the way, so the numbers didn't match.). I know Ustinov's car was close to mine--I was a member of the Aston Martin Owner's Club, which annually published a booklet of all the cars and their owners--but I'm no longer sure of its s/n. The mind is the second thing to go...

    ReplyDelete