Wednesday, April 08, 2020

probably only best used for making something cool out of the uniquely shaped bodies, 1960s vacuum cleaners were pretty cool designs that make interesting race car art




Above, Filter Queen, below Hoover Constellation



pretty sure this one above used the exhaust air to float on by pushing it out under the ball, like a hovercraft




above was among the last of the smmoth and sleek, below, first of the "modern age" designs


for a great timeline look at the evolution of  the cannister Elevtrolux http://smithcollection.altervista.org/electrolux-canada.html




but imagine constantly pumping one instead of using one with and electric motor

Anyway, an example of the stuff that's been made from old vacuums?




http://theelectroluxman.com/


http://www.rvhive.com/the-museum-of-clean-in-idaho-one-clean-museum/
https://www.homestratosphere.com/vacuum-cleaner-history/

4 comments:

  1. You gotta believe that somewhere there's a vacuum cleaner collector who's horrified at what someone did to that poor little pristine eleoctrolux.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Growing up in the 60's, we had 2 of the Hoover Constellations, both were two tone grey. They did indeed tend to float on hard surfaces.

    My aunt had an Electrolux like the blue one with the cord wrapped around it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just watched "Steph's packed lunch" and they had a guy who collected vacuum cleaners on. I suddenly had a picture in my mind of a ball shaped vacuum which i remembered floated on its own exhaust. My gran had one. I thought I would search the web a lo and behold I found your site :-)

    Thanks for the memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. love your name, by the way. I've not heard of "Steph's packed lunch" until now, which is no surprise since I don't have cable or satellite tv, I stick to streaming services like Netflix, Disney +, Hulu, HBO +, etc.
      And oh wow! Glad I posted that and you found it! Ain't memory and sentimental recollections the coolest!

      Delete