The twin-engined, three seater float plane was originally bought by the Norwegian Navi Air services in 1939. It was used by the Norwegians against the invading German forces in April 1940 and after Norway surrendered the Germans took over the airplane and used it against Allied convoys that were sailing towards the Soviet Union.
On December 1942, it was escorting a German convoy after which it lost a float on landing and overturned. None of the crew were killed, and the Germans were even able to recover the starboard engine and the remaining floats before the bomber sank. It remained on the bottom of the fjord for almost 70 years.