Saturday, July 27, 2013

Here is how writing should flow, all the wanna be guest writers? Take a lesson, Chris shows what writing skill is

By: Chris Raymond, ChrisonCars.Com
"Supercars are designed to mess with G-forces. Hypercars are designed to mess with G-strings. – Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear

In the world of automotive journalism, hyperbole is king. Words like supercar and hypercar are used to stir up the masses and increase page views. But neither of these words has an accepted definition, until my epic post "The Supercar Defined." This week we will consider a more recent entry into the automotive lexicon, the hypercar.


A hyper person is someone who is overexcited, manic, agitated, hectic, frenzied, and rabid. A hypercar is exactly the same thing, only worse. The word hypercar became popular sometime in the early 1990's, and was used to describe cars like the Vector W8 and the McLaren F1. The accepted definition requires the vehicle to meet all the standard requirements for being a supercar, which includes: possessing a blistering top speed, having an outrageous price tag, awesome power, supermodel looks, a miniscule trunk, terrifying maintenance costs and teeny tiny production numbers…and then go way, way past it. Everything that a supercar is, the hypercar is…squared.
Depending on your views, cars like the Lamborghini Gallardo, the Ferrari 458 Italia and the Aston Martin DBSwould be considered supercars. But these are just insane…the hypercar is psychotic. Instead of just being fast, the hypercar must have the ability to travel in the 240mph PLUS neighborhood…and that is about as exclusive and expensive a neighborhood as you can get. The price of a supercar is described as unholy at around 200,000 to 300,000 dollars, but the price of a hypercar is more than simply profane and can reach over 1 to 2 million dollars.
Where a supercar is designed to be the automotive equivalent of…say, Gisele Bundchin, the hypercar is Marilyn MansonInsane Clown Posse and Adam Lambert all rolled into one. Styling is not just meant to be groundbreaking, it is meant to reach over, grab you by the throat and rip out your tonsils. People who own and drive a hypercar live in the world of the divine…gods beyond the reach of mere mortals.
Which cars actually meet these lofty standards? As I mentioned above, the Vector W8 (242 mph) and McLaren F1 (240 mph) were probably two of the first. I would add to that list the Saleen S7 Twin Turbo* (248 mph), the SSC Ultimate Aero (257 mph), the Hennessey Venom GT (254 mph), the Koenigsegg Agera (250 mph), and of course theBugatti Veyron and Veyron Super Sport (253 and 267 mph respectively). There are others that come close, including some odd little cars made by tiny manufacturers like KeatingDauer, and Gumpert, but they are just a little too slow at 230+ mph.
Other cars that are considered by some to be hypercars, like the Mercedes McLaren SLR, are just posers. They may have bought the right clothes, but they are missing the muscle to really be part of the club. This is a club where the average member (THE AVERAGE MEMBER!) can easily reach speeds of 230 mph, and they are getting faster all the time. Consider that the supercars of old are about as fast as the Honda's of today, and you can imagine where this is all heading. So, what's next on the horizon…Ultracars? Super-Hypercars? Quantacars?
Chris has been writing with style on his website http://chrisoncars.com/ for a couple years now, check it out and you'll see why I've been recommending his site since he started about 3 years ago

6 comments:

  1. Well I would agree with the word usage of hyper to sell magazines but some other word usage is just hype. Using Marylan Manson and Insane Clown Posse is inappropriate and used just to boost his hyper article. You have to own and or drive these autos to accurately write about them. Putting in top speeds from various sources with no experience in relating actual time in one is futile.

    Try driving a super car of old when you get at speed and it feels like you are going to fly apart. Then drive an F1 or Veyron or the SuperVeyron (prepredouction model) and you will know a solid vehicle. Those other models mentioned I wouldn't care to drive at speed. And obviously he has no experience with Dauer because I would take my "old" 1995 962 Dauer over most of the other ones mentioned. Good try but no cigar this time.
    Stormbringer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gee...I am crushed that you didnt like it. I suppose if you have experience with supercars and hypercars, and own a Daur, then you are much more qualified to write about them than I am. However, if we use your premise, then no one would write about things they never truly experienced. There would be no Star Wars, no Harry Potter, and many of the books and articles we love would not exist.

    Most of the people I know will never get to drive a supercar or hypercar. I can claim to only one Lamborghini (Countach) and only a few other cars that come close. I do not live in the world where these cars are available to me...so the best I can do is relate my feelings and opinion. Granted, it may be flawed, but this article was not intended as reference material. I write about them because I love them...even though I will never own one.

    Using Marilyn Manson and ICP was used for effect...they are the wildest of a group, and matched the intent of the statement. I actually never have the foresight to try and boost readership...not that good yet.

    Anyways, you read it, and I appreciate that. I wish I knew more about these csrs, but must try to carry on with my limited knowledge. I look forward to reading one of your articles soon...with your experience, I am sure it would be impressive...possibly a little condescending, but impressive non the less.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reading the article. Here on Earth, we realize that it is a very rare instance where a writer will actually get hands on time behind the wheel of all 15 cars mentioned in the article. In fact, I am not aware of anyone who has had that blessing. However, in spite of my lack of direct experience, I decided to take a chance and write about something I loved, knowing deep in my heart I was underqualified and would be immediately pounced on by members of the elite who will spare no expense to burn me in effigy.

    You should be aware of a few things...I have driven a supercar in the past, though not one mentioned here. I believe that writing about something without experience is not a crime punishable by death, especially if you are not writing reference material or documenting scientific studies. If we use your premise then all fiction, from Star Wars to Harry Potter, and even to Lincoln and Full Metal Jacket would be banned. Writers do not always know what they are talking about...and I humbly admit the same here.

    However, I do take offense to your comment about Marilyn Manson and ICP...I think they are a perfect analogy to the insanity that is the hypercar. I only wish I was smart enough to write with the intent to boost readership, but alas, I am not.

    I look forward to your article on hypercars...with your direct experience, and your ownership of the 1995 Dauer 962 I am sure it would be outstanding. Not many can claim ownership to a 1.5 Million dollar custom made supercar with a straight face. You are blessed. In fact, I would love to drop by sometime and have you take me out for a ride...it would allow me to write with authority. Again, thanks for reading...I'll try harder next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't take the criticism too hard Chris, that came from a guy who isn't always the sunniest of people. You got lucky, I get to see every comment he makes.

      Delete
  4. Darn,

    I don't think I ever made a negative comment on your sight. Maybe ID'd a car or two or sent you an email about some Count de Sakh. I came across. Or referred an automobile that you posted to a movie database site.

    Oh maybe you are being funny using 'sunniest' as referenced to my name Stormbringer which I used in the naval special forces. Ok I get that. lol I know when I used topoftheline you told me you had many.

    Are you a fan of Insane clown...are they really relevant or would most people know who they are if reading it? I wouldn't even know the clowns unless they were on the Stern show years ago.

    Well I certainly never drove the majority of the automobiles in your article. Some of them I don't even like. When I was younger I always pushed the limit for the fastest and have learned my lessons over the years. And believe me those lessons are life/death.

    Actually I would tend to agree with the majority of your piece, price, no trunk space(if any)... I think I read that on a bad day. Maybe remembering the man who taught me what "over the top" means...my best mate and racing buddy.

    Other than that you know more about original cost of Dauer than I(or I forgot). That one originated with the Brunei royal family and was part of a handful that I was allowed to bring into the US.

    And Jesse one of these days I'll send you the info of the first real US Express race which was won by my buddy Cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A...I look like quite the idiot because I posted a comment but didnt see it come up, so I posted another. Of course, both were published making me look like a fool...Damn you Google Plus.

    I dont take the critics too seriously...everyone has an opinion. My point was that most of us never get to see many of the cars described, and almost all never get to drive them. I write about what I love...and some people like to read it. My comment about MM and ICP was to show how insane these car makers are. I have heard both, but am actually a Phish phan...completely. ICP is very popular now, especially since the FBI brushup in the news. It was just something that popped into my head.

    If Storm Bringer has experience with rare, exotic, classic or performance cars, then he should count himself lucky. I would give anything to see and drive them in person. I would consider his life blessed for having such opportunities.

    Otherwise, not looking to create a problem. Storm Bringer has my respect for his knowledge and experience. I think his critique of the article was a little off base, but otherwise I have no issues. I heard he was in the Northeast, so who knows...maybe one day we will meet at a car show.

    Thanks for reading the article...it means a lot to me. And thanks again to Jesse for publishing it. He has been a great help to me from day one, and I really respect his expertise and cousel. Anyways, Storm Bringer...feel free to contact me at chris@chrisoncars.com if you want to continue the conversation. I would be interested to hear more about the cars you have come in contact with. You sound like a true gearhead, which means you have earned my respect.

    ReplyDelete