Monday, November 16, 2009

The replica of Norm's Kookie T, I doubt anyone but Norm could tell the difference

For a full post on Norm Grabowski, icon and influence of hot rodding: http://justacarguy.blogspot.com/2008/11/norman.html

For a full post on Norm and the Life gallery of photos taken at Norm's garage and on the way to drag race Tommy Ivo at Santa Ana dragway in 1957: http://theselvedgeyard.wordpress.com/2009/05/24/the-great-1950s-t-bucket-rod-rivalry/


my girlfriend was invited to sit in the T and have her picture taken with the hat.
   But I was stunned to see the T at SEMA... completely unremarked in the SEMA information pamphlet I'd looked at, and at an entrance to the South hall (I think)

The original was upholstered by icon Tony Nancy, painted by legendary Valley Custom, and with flame job and pinstriping by icon Dean Jeffries
this was the start for this replica, looks rough! But they did a perfect job and you've seen the results!






















This is what has became of the icon bucket T that was on 77 Sunset Strip, it was a victim of the touring show car craze of the flamboyant 60's, and in this iteration it remains in storage. It's current owner is not showing it, or returning it to it's original look.

2 comments:

  1. It is a shame to see what has become of Norm's car. The photos here showing the replicar being built are mine. Im in the photo with the 22 model T body was located in Nebraska. The photos showing the two original model Ts were taken at the shop with Johnny Overby to discuss/negotiate if I was to have them do the Kookie Kar build; they did a great job. It took me almost 4 years to track down all the exotic parts. I was lucky and I doubt it it could be done again, I was lucky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, it's ridiculous that anyone would see a singular pioneer of a car trend, Norm's T Bucket, and say to themselves "I know, I'll make it better" instead of leaving it the hell alone.
      Good thing that there are a majority of preservationists and collectors in this hobby, even if most are mega wealthy guys that shove the cars in their museum or garage and the car is never heard of again (Golden Sahara and this car, both tossed into that collectors garage and never came out of it until after he died last year)
      Thanks for your note!

      Delete