Monday, May 13, 2024

a window into the Mount Carmel tunnel, a 1930 accomplishment of a mile long tunnel through solid rock to get to the Zion national park. At the time, one of the longest tunnels in the world




the mile long tunnel has six "galleries" (windows) along one side that provide light and ventilation. During construction, the tunnel's debris was dumped through those galleries into the canyon below.

When Zion was named a national park in 1919, it also began a partnership with the state of Utah and the Union Pacific Railroad. The goal of this partnership was to promote a 10-day “Grand Loop” for visitors to the region to follow, featuring several of the region’s national parks.


not being rich enough to tour the country with a camper, teardrop, or rv, I haven't had the pleasure of seeing all the big amazing national parks, such as the 3 that are side by side, Zion, Bryce Canyon, and Grand Canyon


But when I was in the Navy, and moving from one duty station to the next, I did drive, and take the routes that would get me through a couple that I wanted to see the most, Yellowstone and Yosemite in one trip from East to West coast, and on a drive to Vegas I once went to the Grand Canyon and the Hoover Dam. 

That was when gas a was a dollar a gallon, I kid you not. 1999. Now I know how my grandparents generation feel when they remember paying a quarter a gallon. I suppose this indicates gas will be 20 a gallon by 2040

3 comments:

  1. I went though the damn in 78 after racing in California. Wish Ithere had been digital cameras back then. What a great place to tour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gas was 19 cents a gallon when I was in Waco Texas, 1971

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what do you guess the price will be for a gallon by 2040?

      Delete