Tuesday, October 25, 2011

So, I'm buying a car, and told the salesguy what I wanted. He was an idiot. He didn't tell me he'd get it, (I want a white car and they didn't have one) and sell it to me.

When anyone walks in and tells a salesman they are here to buy... the only thing the salesman should do is tell that customer, I'm here to get you that car, what would you like.

That isn't what happened today. I said I want a white one. The salesguy said, we don't have a white one.

THAT WAS STUPID

I said get it, I'm here to buy it, I'll be back when you get it here.

HE SAID "SIGN THIS CONTRACT FIRST"

IDIOT

I told him, I don't sign anything til I see that car I want. Then you give me the sales contract, and you get a commission, I get a car, we're both happy.

THIS IDIOT DOESN"T GET IT. I mean him, not me.

He believes that the dealership (included in this conversation was the manager) refuses to get me the car I'm in the showroom floor to buy. UNLESS I SIGN PAPERWORK.

I guess me telling him that I'm gonna go get the car from where it's at doesn't faze him.... Cause that is what I'll do.

But I'm not stupid either, I called one of the other 5 dealerships in San Diego and here's how that conversation goes... I'm telling you because you are still reading, and I figure you're a person who likes what I have to say about cars or you wouldn't be reading my blog anyway...

I called, Alan answered...
"I want to buy a car from you"
"What can I sell you" he replied.
I said " You are the right guy, here's what I want"
he told me there is only one available in the state of California.
I said "Get it, I want it, I've already compared the rest of the cars, and this is the one for me."
"I'll see what I can do, and call you back" he replaied.

SMART GUY

So, tomorrow we'll see if it's available and if he'll have it ready for me to pick up.

Simple huh? I'm buying, he's selling. No nonsense. No BS
Here's the comparison http://justacarguy.blogspot.com/2011/10/new-car-comparison-of-2012-econo-boxes.html

Update... Alan called me back, and hadn't been able to get ahold of the dealership that is reported to have that car. He didn't call me back the next day, when he did find out something, he let his boss call me instead, and I talked to the sales manager. Nice guy, not very sharp. After I told him I only will buy a white Hyundai Veloster, he went on to tell me about red cars, blue cars, Elantras and other Hyundais.  So I repeated  my decision of white, because he may have forgotten in the disappointment that he must feel at not being able to sell the colors that people do not want, and reminding him that I will buy a White Veloster.

He said that the dealership the White Veloster wouldn't part with it in a dealership trade.

I called them today. I learned the truth.

They don't have the basic car in White, they don't have any white car. They have an invoice on a computer telling them that a White optioned to the max car, that costs 3 thou more, and has options I don't want (sunroof) and won't pay for isn't there yet, but is supposed to be on it's way.

So, no White Veloster. Hyundai has 3 problems, salesmen that aren't honest, sales managers that aren't honest, a lack of cars in the available color I want, and me... a guy who decided to buy the basic car they make, in a basic color, but isn't going to be getting the car that Hyundai advertises that they make. They don't make enough to sell me one.

So why did Alan the salesguy not call me back? Why did his salesmanager not tell me that a car matching my requirements was in another city and that the dealership that had it wouldn't trade it between dealerships?

8 comments:

  1. My best friend used to sell cars. He would probably faint at the story of the idiot. I wonder how some of them make any commissions at all.
    ClassicDragsters.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure what car you are buying but it sounds much like the conversations many on a forum have had about getting one of the cars you mentioned in that article. Fortunately the dealer had exactly the car I wanted when I went in. I am very happy with my new 3 door.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds just like the conversation many on a forum that many there have had. I was lucky the deal had the exact car and options I wanted in stock. Even though the gearing makes it slow off the line I enjoy my new 3 door.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to sell cars.I would get a specific vehicle for somone only to have them tell me they changed their mind. Maybe you would like to by one of the cars I brought in for people like you who wouldnt commit on paper. Its an extra expense for the dealer and another car to pay interst on for some "buyer" who wont even sign a bill of sale.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why not specific names of the dealership and the brand of car? You can't get in trouble for posting the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a problem too many buyers come across buying from dealers, often times they don't communicate clearly or effectively.

    I wrote about what to do before visiting a dealer on my blog, here is the link:

    http://walsgarage.blogspot.com/2011/10/get-your-finances-in-order.html

    Did you go over the contract they offered you?

    Could they get the car you were after, at an agreed price, to be delivered at an agreed date and time?

    Did they offer to take a deposit in cash or credit card?

    If you were ready to buy and they let you walk without securing anything, they dropped the ball.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meh, so you sure about your choice? Then sign the fuckin' thing 'cause it makes them liable! My sister just ended up with a all-extra-in Ford Ka because the guy wasn't able to deliver their cheap-no-thrills Ka on order... It only took them to frown an eyebrow, talk about refund, and voilà, they end up with a top of the breed not-so-econobox anymore with Bluetooth, Aircon, Alloy wheels, the whole shebang.
    Sign it, it makes it mandatory for them to provide what you asked for. It is what you asked for, right?
    And on another point: why set off on the wrong foot? Now you know you can't go there even for a warranty issue or basic service, for fear of vengeance. Are you better off?
    Cheers! Hope you went for the 500 'cause it may not be the manliest out there, but it's SO not the same as the others (this from a guy who drives a bright orange Citroen C3 Pluriel... Look for it and you'll get my point: get a car that requires a sense of humour, it's your only way out if you don't own the money to get one that pretend you have a bigger penis).
    Jean-Philippe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Simple answer. Anyone who needs a contract signed is an idiot and not a good salesman. I also used to sell cars...If someone came in asking for a particular car, I would find it, either at another dealer or in the build lists. Then I would arrange for the Dealer to Dealer transfer (if a build, I would transfer the delivery details). Once the transfer is arranged...either bring the person to the car, or the car to the person...get the person to buy it, then finalize the sale and dealer transfer.

    A dealer will do a transfer easily...they will even let you demo the car. If it fails, you can cancel the transfer...happens all the time. The buyer doesnt pay up, or sign off on the car until he sees it, and only then does the dealer arrange for the delivery.

    ReplyDelete