These concrete snow sheds at Donner Summit cover the original CPRR Right of way which no longer has tracks. Still owned by Union Pacific and used by UP work trucks and hikers.
I used to drive snow cats just down the road from the bridge at Sugar Bowl Ski Area. The road was only open from May to Nov. most years before it got closed. I remember seeing the rotary plow trains come through there in the early-mid 90's when there was 20ft of snow on the ground. That summit receives the most snow of any place in the continental US. not the light dry stuff, true Sierra cement. It gets so deep you can't physically shovel it, you have to wait for a front end loader to clear your driveway. There's a famous 100ft cliff guys would jump off when it got deep enough.
Hi Dan! Driving a Sno Cat... I'd love to give that a try! That's the place with the most snow in the lower 48? Would you know how many inches? 100 ft cliff.... into snow... ummm, with a rope so someone could pull them out so they didn't suffocate? How dang deep would a person get into the snow when jumping off a 100ft cliff? I am very intrigued! Thanks for the comment, I hope you reply with answers! jesse
I used to drive snow cats just down the road from the bridge at Sugar Bowl Ski Area. The road was only open from May to Nov. most years before it got closed. I remember seeing the rotary plow trains come through there in the early-mid 90's when there was 20ft of snow on the ground. That summit receives the most snow of any place in the continental US. not the light dry stuff, true Sierra cement. It gets so deep you can't physically shovel it, you have to wait for a front end loader to clear your driveway. There's a famous 100ft cliff guys would jump off when it got deep enough.
ReplyDeleteHi Dan!
DeleteDriving a Sno Cat... I'd love to give that a try! That's the place with the most snow in the lower 48? Would you know how many inches?
100 ft cliff.... into snow... ummm, with a rope so someone could pull them out so they didn't suffocate? How dang deep would a person get into the snow when jumping off a 100ft cliff? I am very intrigued!
Thanks for the comment, I hope you reply with answers!
jesse