even I Love Lucy used the old car that falls apart gag... it's a hoot. 1924 Cadillac - skip the first 90 seconds to get to the bit (thank you Doug!) then a switcheroo bit at minute 4
Did you notice in the New York scenes that both cars don’t have the windows installed? That would make for a windy drive to California. I assume that’s so they don’t reflect during filming. You can also see the cable used to pull the cars when Lucy crashes them together and then drives away.
I noticed that most Hollywood tv and movie vehicles that are character driven are drop tops, for the camera on the actors faces, the axe murderer episode, the Cadillac episode... I Dream of Jeanie and others of that era (Gidget) were sponsored by GM or Ford and had a steady supply of new convertibles, which is great for watching them now, to enjoy the cool mid 60s cars, and back then was likely better than print advertising for getting people interested enough to stop by a dealership
Did you notice in the New York scenes that both cars don’t have the windows installed? That would make for a windy drive to California. I assume that’s so they don’t reflect during filming. You can also see the cable used to pull the cars when Lucy crashes them together and then drives away.
ReplyDeleteI noticed that most Hollywood tv and movie vehicles that are character driven are drop tops, for the camera on the actors faces, the axe murderer episode, the Cadillac episode... I Dream of Jeanie and others of that era (Gidget) were sponsored by GM or Ford and had a steady supply of new convertibles, which is great for watching them now, to enjoy the cool mid 60s cars, and back then was likely better than print advertising for getting people interested enough to stop by a dealership
Delete