Saturday, August 08, 2026

I just learned that yesterday was Purple Heart Day


Thank you George! His time as a Huey Gunship side door gunner resulted in 2 purple hearts. 

There are other regular readers that also received Purple Hearts, and I regret that I have not become well enough acquainted with them, to where I know them by name and can thank them by name, also

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting my Purple Hearts I will . The anniversary of that 1st PH will be coming at the end of thie month. The second one was one month later. TI will tely you about them in a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Mom just gave my my Grandfather's Purple Heart. He got two of them in World War II.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow.... that is a solemn and cool family heirloom... do you know what his job was, where he was stationed, etc etc?

      Delete
    2. He was an infantry man with the 35th Infantry division in Europe. One was for shrapnel through the forearm near Mortain, and the other was when a machine gun nest shot his legs out from under him shortly after relieving Bastone (they were attached to Patton's 3rd Army at that point), in the woods near Villers-la-Bonne-Eau. He said his right leg was 90 degrees in the middle of the thigh, broke the bone completely. Both legs were shot. He spent the rest of the war in the hospital. He was able to walk normally, but as he got older the wound would bother him more when the weather changed. He also had a Bronze Star, but my aunt kept that.

      Delete
    3. Wow... I can't imagine the pain of getting shot through BOTH legs! He was lucky to get them working right for the rest of his life! That's amazing considering battle field conditions, and medical on the front line!

      Delete
    4. thank you for that history!

      Delete